Before leaving on that great winter vacation, here are some helpful tips to assure that you return home to a safe and secure home.
- Arrange for someone to plow or shovel so your house appears occupied
- Turn the thermostat down to 60 degrees and leave interior doors open to circulate air
- Put lights on auto-timers and consider outdoor motion detectors
- Lock your doors and windows
- Suspend newspaper and mail delivery
- Purge the refrigerator of perishables, run the disposal and take the trash out.
- Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your place and leave a key with someone
- Run a computer back-up and then turn your computer off
- Address maintenance issues so they don't snowball while you are gone
- Conduct a home inventory and make sure your insurance policies are up-to-date
We thank the Hanover Insurance Company for their tips.